Sunday 17 March 2013

Warwick Castle Half Marathon

Or a better title would be "the day I nearly dnfd for no reason"

The morning started with me not really feeling bothered or excited about the race which is a first in the one year and 3 months I have been running. Still I set off to Warwick castle and at least it wasn't snowing! Upon arriving the cars were directed to a large field and it was a short 5 minute walk to the race area where the toiltets, food and t shirt collection point was, after receiving my shirt I then made the journey back to the car which helped warm my cold feet up. On the way to the start I chatted to a few people one girl who although she had charged her watch all night kept saying the battery was flat and wouldn't turn on...nightmare! and another who told me I was mad for even thinking of running more than one half marathon per year. Shortly into the race I began to think she was right.

The start was all very confusing we came into a circular courtyard and were told to get in the pen that related to our estimated finish time, mine is anything between 2:08 and 2:30 but I wanted to get nearer 2 hours so I wouldn't get stuck like last time. The first sign I saw was sub 1:30 I didn't even know it was possible to run a half marathon that fast! then the next sign was between 2-3 hours and then 3 hours plus. Before I knew what I was doing I was being hearded along by a marshall directed to the start so just followed everyone else, big mistake. I ended up about 3 rows back from the start, I found myself surrounded by what can only be described as the elites that run a sub 1 hour 30! Yikes what had I done? My garmin also wouldn't pick up satellites as we were under alot of trees it kept teasing me by going up to 99% then back down to 50% I knew I had little chance of getting it going as I crossed the timing mat.

Away we went and boy we set of fast I wish my garmin had been working as I reckon the first mile I ran at 4 min mile pace... Elite I was until mile 2 when I felt like I was dying! This was not a good moment and I knew I had to start slowing down to my usual 10.30 pace. I finally picked up satelites but knew my miles and time were going to be out first mile logged at 9.19 pace still too fast, second mile logged at 9:31 still too fast not a lot I could do except try to slow down. The Elite soon were way in the distance and I was now surrounded with runners that quite frankly I felt I should be good to run along side but they just kept coming and I got overtaken by probably a thousand people, some old, some really old, some fat, some really fat, some thin some that looked like they weren't even meant to be there and this played havoc with my little brain and at mile 4 I actually considered dropping out. What the hell? You'd think this was a moment that would pass.. well at mile 8 I felt exactly the same I just couldn't get my legs to move they felt heavy I thought at one point I had injured myself but then realised this was me looking for an excuse not to carry on. From mile 6 it started raining and I was soaked through, I had my coat tied around my waist it wouldn't have made a difference if it was on me or not at this point. I had two tissues with me one for my snot rag and the other to wipe my glasses with (as yes I had forgot to put my contacts in) It didn't take long for me to drop my glasses wiper and had to resort to wiping my glasses with my snot rag Ewwwww!

Still at least I wasn't covered in bogies and being sick on myself like last week! I opted for jelly babies this time rather than gels. From mile 7 I was run walking, I could kick myself I've ran way over 13 miles before without stopping and couldn't help beating myself up over walking but hey at least I finished and didn't drop out. I didn't know what time I was going to finish with as Garmin was out of sync but rounding the final straight I saw the large digital timer and I finished in 2 hours 21 minutes not my worst and not my best but average which I will happily take.

So I went to Warwick Castle ran 13 miles covered in my own snot, got the t shirt, got my medal and then got stuck wheel spinning in the now very muddy field, took over an hour to get of the car park and onto the main road and then managed to get a 6 inch crack in my window screen on the way home. Nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment