Sunday 23 June 2013

Malvern Half Marathon

Yippeee I did it! I ran the Malvern Half Marathon..after last year when I had to pull out due to Piriformis I was really looking forward to this, so looking forward to it my race number was number 30 and when I got there I was surrounded by lots of 300 upwards. I must have got in mega early!

I had arranged to meet Annabelle at the start and run or maybe not run together as she was aiming for 9 min miles, bit quick for me but it was great to catch up as I hadn't seen her since the Enigma Winter double marathon in January. Timing was great we arrived at the same time and went to find the toilet before the start at 10.30am.

The day was overcast and very windy and I was just hoping it wouldn't rain as I had spent the morning tanning so I could get my shorts on and get my running legs out. We made our way to the start lining up in the sub 2:30 bay and were soon crossing the start line...then 18 seconds later I crossed the finish line! A pb a pb.. unfortunately the timing mats hadn't been activated until we had crossed over ready to come back at the actual finish. Annabelle tootled off in front and I was just happy to keep a good pace but ended up running the first 3 miles at under 9 minute miles not sure if that was going to be a good thing.  I had a discussion with Annabelle at the start about how crap I run or should I say walk up hills and with it being Malvern and hilly hence the Malvern hills I was worried. She gave me advice on running up on my toes and changing my breathing and it seemed to work a treat I ran non stop for ages. At mile 6.1 I looked at my garmin and I had only gone and clocked a 10k PB of 58 minutes 30 seconds wooooppeee I debated stopping the clock and having that as a pb but thought I could possibly get a 2 hour half or a pb at least so kept it running.

 From mile 7 I had found my pace maker from previous blogs you will note these are usually women (I don't know why) around the same size and same ability looking as me... this time and I hope you stifle your laughs my pace maker was in the form of a man of around 50 slightly over weight wearing a sock type thing on his head and a pink tutu around his waist!! Go on laugh I will let you.

Have you finished laughing? Right I'll carry on.... I was mortified that this man was actually running away from me at some points this is still the one thing that baffles me on races you do judge people by the way they look I am forever being over taken by 90 year olds and a woman pushing a baby in a buggy.. go on laugh again but you know what? they could have been running since they were like 10! and I bet they didn't look as good as me at the finish and we all got the same medal.

From mile 8 onwards I was struggling slightly and the route had become rather boring. I had by this time turned my garmin to the screen saver screen as I just wanted to finish and not keep looking at my wrist. At mile 10 I worked out I had infact slowed down rather a lot and was no longer on for a pb of 2 hours 8 minutes but nearer my average of 2 hours 15 oh well I still had my 10k pb which made me happy. At mile 11 the route was horrible it was such a long straight gravel road that then turned into tarmac with speed bumps the head wind was strong and  I resorted to walking. Rounding a corner to pass mile 12 and the road was closed to traffic I did my usual of running straight down the middle on the white lines and nearly cried. I feel so free when I run like this! The finish ended with running around some cones and heading back up the opposite way we had started. The finish just never seemed to get any nearer I normally have a sprint finish in me but the last two miles of wind and speed bumps had just drained me completely.

I crossed the finish line in 2 hours 14 mins and handed the most amazing medal I think I've ever received!

I was pooped! It was a tough course full of changes in attitude from the first 10k being easy and elated at my time to gradually being worn down by long straights wind and bumpy roads. I beat the man in the tutu thank god and met up with Annabelle who had finished in 2 hours 9 mins. A brilliant race all in all.

















2 comments:

  1. Awwwww, what a fab Blog!!! Was great to meet up again.....(my official time now 2:08 something). Look forward to seeing you again. You're mint xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, bless you. Great to meet up again xx
    What a lush day :-)

    ReplyDelete