Wednesday 10 July 2013

Mission Imbloggable

It's been so hot but you have to be ready for any race conditions so I have been running in the sun mainly trying to stick to the woods where it is shady and also running late at night when it's cooler.

I got home from work feeling run down, tired and not really wanting to run but pulling up on the drive at 5.15pm with the temperature gauge showing 29 degrees I realised I had to take a dvd back to Blockbusters in town before 10pm, here presented an opportunity to run and save petrol.

So my Mission Imbloggable if I chose to accept it was to run what I thought would be 2 miles into town drop dvd off at blockbusters and run the 2 miles back. I accepted the mission. It was never going to be easy due to the heat, the fact I was running in work traffic direct to the centre of town and the shortest route was going down and up Tolladine Road....it should be called Tolladine hill!

I put my ultra vest on and the back pocket was large enough to fit a dvd in it snuggly so packed up and off I went. Straight away at half a mile in I was beginning to think it was a bad idea there was very little shade anywhere but where I could I tried to run on the side of the road with shade. Approaching the top of Tolladine I was looking forward to this bit as it's just under 1 mile of all downhill yippeee. Now I know it's summer and I know I was running through a chavy/rough part of Worcester but is it really necessary for people to sit at bus stops on their own with shirts unbuttoned all the way down., beer belly hanging out drinking cans of special brew?

At the bottom of Tolladine road it leveled out back to flat and I checked my garmin I was already over 2 miles in and not at blockbusters yet so my 4 mile Mission Imbloggable run was actually going to be more like 5 miles. Arriving at blockbusters I had a quick pit stop and found some jelly babies in one of my pockets from a previous race... mmm... yummy I scoffed two of them ready for the climb back home. I had already decided to walk majority if not all of the hills on the way back as it was still so hot and still little shade along the way. It was a case of stop startng with the traffic at road crossings but I was soon halfway up the hill and even managed to run / walk it all the way up. From here it was going to be easy I was 1.3 miles from home it was flat I had however ran out of water but started a sprint back and managed a mile in less than 10.30mins not bad considering I was running at nearer 11 -12 min miles with my run/walking.

At 5.5 miles I arrived back home dripping with sweat, tired, thirsty, hot but happy that I had accepted the mission and succeeded!

No comments:

Post a Comment