Thursday 14 June 2012

Fed up & scared

What do you blog about when you haven't been doing anything?... I don't want to bore anyone so this blog is more for me. As I say part of the reason I'm writing this blog is to keep a sort of diary and keep a log of training and things I've gone through and learnt.

Right now the last 3 weeks have been hell for me, first being told I had a slipped disc, then the pain moving from my back to my glutes which led to maybe thinking it was Piriformis, the pain stayed in the glutes for over a week then eventually made its way down to my leg...almost. Having gone to the doctors I was then told I have sprained my hip and not to run or do anything at all not even stretches for 4-6 weeks and that I will not be running the Grim Reaper Ultra Marathon. Thinking this can't be happening to me I went to the gym to use the sauna and bumped into James who is the manager and also recently qualified in sports massage and physio. He took a look and said it wasn't my hip at all, after me doing some moving around for him and describing the pain he told me I've torn my hamstring and still won't be running the Grim Reaper in 4 weeks time. I decided to buy myself a compression bandage for my hamstring and after wearing it for one evening and night my leg,glute,hip,back whatever it is felt better, I was able to get out of bed and even stand on my right foot and it not hurt.  At last a result!! 

Until the next day when I woke up and it was back to normal, I could still put all my weight on my right foot but still a bit niggly. All of this has made terrified of doing anything, and I've actually got it into my head I will never be able to run again. Don't get me wrong I know health comes first no matter what but I've been training for this Ultra Marathon and it's been the sole purpose (well in my eyes) of my life at the moment I just cannot imagine not doing it or attempting to do it at least!

After pulling out of the Sutton Park 10k last week I'm now facing the fact that there is a 90% chance I will be dropping out of the Malvern Half Marathon on the 24th June, a week on Sunday. I have been going around in circles being told what is wrong with me so booked an appointment to see a sports physio at the Worcestershire sports injury clinic this is happening on Tuesday, but baring in mind I've done nothing but laze around watching films and reading as much Harry Potter as my little brain will take I got impatient and emailed an aquaintance on facebook who is a sports injury physio, he is infact the physio that will be helping at the Grim Reaper.
After explaining my situation and pain etc I asked him if I could do some light exercise and non weight baring work. He thinks rather than the problem being my hamstring it's my hamstring insertion and that light non impact work will be fine and may even help.

With this in mind I have just come back from the gym, I felt fine before I went I'd describe the pain as being just on the crease of the glute where the buttock meets the leg but pain factor around 5%. I did 20 minutes on the cross trainer very gently and then 20 minutes on the sit down bike thing again very gentle. On the cross trainer I could feel my back twinging which was frustrating and I spent alot of the time praying to god that when I get off I wouldn't be in pain. Didn't happen; the walk down the steps out of the gym into the changing rooms soon told me that my pain was back and yet again it's moved...it's gone to my back again now!

Pain factor when walking I'd say is back up to 20% not a lot I know but I was thinking 3 weeks of doing nothing and a bit of light exercise would fix the bloody thing. Suppose its a case of shelling out £40 on Tuesday to find out what it is and what to do to make it better and probably get told I can't do the Grim Reaper (yeah yeah heard it all before)

One thing I looked into tonight was my Garmin account logging my exercise for today after all I didn't want Garmin thinking I've popped my clogs just yet! I looked pitifully at my June month (which had absolutely nothing on it except INJURED on every week!) and back to my May month and looked at the time I hurt myself. I was sure I did whatever I have done swimming but looking at the calender I swam 50 lengths on the 21st May.. fine.. then ran on the 22nd may only 2 miles but no issues, then ran again on the 23rd may no issues apart from the heat, then on the 24th May my input says 7 mile run/walk/hot/injured. So I injured myself on the 24th May during a run, then swam 50 lengths on the 25th May and did Trailblazer 10k on the 26th May which is when I was in agony and had to walk majority of the way and have not ran since.

Interesting... think that bit of info may need to go to the physio with me on Tuesday. I probably should have written this after Physio so I could put what is wrong with me but I fear I will either be too depressed to do anything after seeing the physio on Tuesday or I will be locked up for punching the physio after he tells me there is no way I will run the Grim Reaper in 4 weeks!

Here's praying when I wake up tomorrow the pain is back to 5% or even better 0% please god pleaaseee!!!    














No comments:

Post a Comment