Sunday 24 June 2012

Malvern Half Marathon & Getting Ripped Off

So today is the day of the Malvern Half Marathon I should just be finishing in around 30 minutes. Instead I am sat at home typing this much to my dismay!

So this is my second race that I have had to pull out of but still need to focus on the bigger picture which is the 40 mile Ultra Marathon in 19 days arghhhh! How excited am I??

So I guess you may be wondering what the Physio said right? Well what he said was a load of old poppy cock, nice enough man and all that but he made me do loads of movements, stretches put pressure on bits and bobs and came to the conclusion it may be but he wasn't sure a problem with my back but then proceeded to put KT tape on my hamstring. Is this not the same principle of sticking a plaster on your foot to cure a headache? He then told me to go for a run with the tape on and if doesn't help go back home and do some stretches then try running again. So off I went, then at reception was told to make another appointment, Ok I thought thinking next week will be fine only to be given an appointment card with the following day on it!? Apparently me paying him £40 for him to say oh i think it's your back but not sure, run tonight and come back tomorrow so I can take another £40 off you is the way it works right? WRONG!

I went home very upset, went for a run and pushed myself soooo hard to run 3 miles, on one hand it felt great just to be back outdoors running and on the other hand I knew I was probably causing myself more damage. Frustrated wasn't the word, having been told different things by different people i.e maybe you should just give up running, is it really that fun anyway? Maybe you shouldn't run you don't want to end up in a wheelchair?!  Taking matters into my own sorry hands the next day I cancelled my appointment and  I found a different Physio closer to home and also one that has a lady who has ran a 26 Marathons/Ultra Marathons. Now this is what I am talking about someone who knows what I'm going through! So I made an appointment for that evening... yes it will be another £40 down the drain but I had a good feeling about it so off I went....

Talk about £40 well spent, the physio was amazing really listened to everything I had to say did the same routine as previous physio then said they knew straight away what it was.... wait for it.... you'll never guess.
Piriformis! exactly what I had self diagnosed myself with (though I didn't tell him that) I was then explained how the Piriformis muscle works how I would have damaged it, and yes it was through swimming, also the reason why it would have been damaged swimming but not shown up until I ran 7 miles. I also got informed on what stage the injury is at and the recovery stages, what to do and not to do. Turns out taking anti flams is a no go and heat is required not ice. I then had an Ultrasound done and some Electro Therapy which should increase the healing process by 20-24% over the following two days. Now why the first money making scheming physio couldn't have done this I do not know?

Anyway the outcome was no running for a further 10 days, hence I'm not running today but he said I will be fine to take part in my Ultra Marathon but need to build my running back up with a combination of run/walking. Who could run 40 miles anyway?  Roll on the 1st July my first official day of being allowed to run and at least now I have found a decent physio to fix me after my Ultra! I'm trying to build up my fitness levels again using the bikes at the gym (the only form of cardio exercise I'm allowed to do) and doing some strength training, It's amazing how much fitness levels can slip after doing nothing for 3 weeks. Still 40 miles is a good introduction back into the world of running and you never know I may actually feel like a runner again in mind and body!

Again here is the only memento I have for the Malvern Half Marathon, there's always next year....


No comments:

Post a Comment