Sunday 29 July 2012

Back in the game

Today spells the end of my first week of the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Marathon Training plan.

Started the week of with Monday being a rest day which I took great pleasure in even though I had had plenty of rest the weeks leading up to it, Tuesday saw me completing a nice 3 mile run which I struggled with a bit as my body was getting used to properly running again, still with my training plan stuck to the fridge I knew I would do it as I like a regime and feel like I am acheiving something if I am following or completing what I am being asked to do.

Wednesday was a 5 mile pace run which went fantastic. I have always had an idea of a time I would like to finish my first Marathon in which is around 5 hours 15 minutes so set off on my 5 mile run telling myself if I run every mile around 12 minute miles I will be happy and I did it!

Mile 1 - 9.47
Mile 2 - 10.27
Mile 3 - 10.50
Mile 4 - 11.17
Mile 5 - 10.43

I felt fantastic! After the effects of not finishing a race since May due to pulling out of two races and not finishing the Grim Reaper the fact I achieved what I was meant to do made me believe in myself again.

Thursday was an easy 3 mile run and I did take it easy as  my legs were feeling the effects of Wednesdays run. Friday was rest day and I was very good to rest, my previous training involved (through my own poor choice) one rest day a week which wasn't helping.

Then yesterday I woke up at 6am for my final run of the week 8 miles. As the weather had been hot all week I wanted to get out early and run in cooler conditions before the heat kicked in. Setting off at 6.45am felt great, there were no cars about which meant I could cross roads easily and there was a general calmness about everything. I then did something I have never done before in all my months of running, I went of the beaten track! I decided not to follow my usual option of two routes and to take a turn down an alley way that led out to the canal which turned out to be the best decision I have ever made!

In front of me lay miles upon miles upon miles of trail path with some nice little hills to contend with too. The canal was to the left and everything was still, I felt completely safe as not running with music means I can hear everything around me and  I was surprised that at that time of the morning I passed around ten people along the way, fellow runners, bikers and dog walkers.

This I decided is my Saturday long run route from now on, I'm sure you can see why from the picture I took below.








No comments:

Post a Comment