Sunday 19 January 2014

Megs Miles and The Ghost Runner

So after 5 days of rest, well resting my leg and no running at least I decided to have a go at a little running yesterday. Two reasons.. one my physio said he is again happy for me to continue doing some running as he isn't a fan of total rest, that makes two of us and two because I wanted to dedicate yesterdays miles to Meg. Meg is a lady who was out for her morning run when she was hit by a drunk driver, she lost her life leaving her family including three children behind. Megs Miles is all about runners uniting and dedicating a mile run in her memory and to raise awareness of drink driving.


Throughout the week I had been keeping myself sane doing lots of core work up to 45 minutes per night of various routines including planks, crunches and sit ups with a good 10-15 minutes of weights for my arms thrown in for good measure. I had also ordered some KT tape which I had previously used back in 2012 for a short while but never really bothered with it until now. My pink tape arrived and I am now a pro at self taping my hamstring and front of my thigh. Having worn this since Friday morning yesterday I woke up with no pain in my leg at all so decided to try a 3 mile run. I should have been taking it steady but went out at 10 minute miles and mile two was 9.33 minutes. Pain in my leg was prominent straight away then it gradually moved down to just above my knee then after 1 mile it disappeared completely... exactly what it always does. The real test is the following few hours and next morning when I can't walk properly.

I'm pleased to say even after two showers and that run my KT has stayed in place for three days now and I woke up this morning pain free and able to walk properly which was a good sign. I'm going to run again today I thought to myself... noooooooo you may scream!

Yes I am running and yes I have ran! In fact what spurred me on more was finishing my current running book The Ghost Runner a book about a man called John Tarrant who in the 1960's was banned from amateur running as he was honest enough to declare that he had won £17 previously from amateur boxing even though he was never on the books and spent more than £17 on the bus fares to the fights he was in. He was banned from ever running for a club or in races in the UK or abroad for the rest of his life... all this man wanted was a number, he was never allowed so arrived at races disguised in coat and hat then leapt out at the last minute at the start often being chased down by race officials but he quite often won and held a number of world records when his ban in the UK was lifted. What inspired me about this man was all he wanted was a number something we probably take for granted now, I have a scrapbook full of numbers from previous races. He also made me think about running today as between 1969 and 1971 he ran up to 150 miles per week! and took part in many 100 mile ultra marathons and 24 hour endurance events with stomach cancer.. although he didn't know it at the time. In his final race he did know he had cancer as only a few months before he had his stomach removed and a replacement made from part of his bowel...

I'm sorry but if that guy can run an ultra marathon with stomach cancer or no stomach at all I'm sure I can manage with my gammy hammy!

So I did, I've just ran 4 miles at my half marathon target pace, yes my leg hurt most of the way around but i'm not going to dwell on it as I'm walking properly now and it's rest day tomorrow.

Today I am just grateful I can run as I still have my life and I'm allowed a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment