Friday 18 July 2014

Malvern 5k

It's took a while to start blogging again as I honestly don't have the time anymore. But after hearing the disappointment in my moms voice when I told her I would no longer be blogging I felt maybe I shall carry on as best I can...... I will have to try to remember details of these next few races.


Malvern 5k was a hot one, so hot I was very pleased I had opted for the 5k woodland trail race. Arriving early I was thinking about maybe getting a good time and had a plan of action to do my race then laze in the sun waiting for the rest of the gang to finish the half marathon and go back home.

I made my way over to the starting line for the 5k and we were off running into the woods over grass fields. The route started off very nice and I was speeding along at under 9 minute miles but I soon came out into a field where long grass had been cut and the clippings still on the ground. I couldn't see the field beneath me or how uneven it was and the worst thing possible happened. (same as 2 years ago at park run) my left ankle rolled all the way over and popped. Ohhhhh it was agony a shooting and burning pain shot up my leg and I stopped for a few seconds, tried to put weight on my foot but was limping like a hurt animal with it's paw in the air. I thought for a second about getting medical help but I didn't want to waste anyone's time getting an ambulance or car out to me as I was in the middle of the woods by now I was just over 1 mile in it was only a 3 mile race surely I could carry on. So I did, I continued to run and crossed the finish line in less than 30 minutes with as much of a sprint finish as I could manage. I then proceeded to collect my medal and go to a st johns ambulance where I received treatment for my ankle that had ballooned up. I came away from the race with my medal and my foot strapped up and the effort of now having to drive home barefoot with my clutch foot out of action.  I hated the race for obvious reasons and made the decision that the only trail running I will do now will be park run and I won't go fast!





No comments:

Post a Comment