Friday 18 July 2014

Norton 10k fun run

After looking for a local race to take part in I found the Norton 5k and 10k fun run just a 5 minute drive from home and you get a medal...ideal.

Arriving on the morning after my amazing park run pb of 25 minutes 45 seconds it was a small local event with a field of around 35 runners this was down to the fact it clashed with Evesham and Gloucester 10k races. I felt confident in my running but wary my legs may feel tired from the efforts of the previous day. An announcement was made at the start that the course was a series of 4 right turns and 5k runners would do 1 lap and 10k runners would do 2 laps but the option was there for the 10k runners to do move down to the 5k do 1 lap and still get a medal.. as the starting horn went off and my concrete legs started lifting off the ground this option sounded very very appealing! The course was undulating with a few steady climbs, one big hill then a lovely downhill where I got an 8.20 minute mile in! I made the decision then and there that if I was on for a 5k pb then I would do the 5k. Coming to the final straight before entering the field where I had to do a lap I wasn't on for a 5k pb but I was close and tired and my shin started playing up, some may judge but the choice was given and I listened to my body and I went through the 5k finish tunnel rather than heading out for another lap.

I finished in 26 minutes 49 seconds and was super pleased with myself as it was only 1 minute 4 seconds slower than my pb and I was pacing myself around on tired legs. I feel Ben helped me push through a barrier and I am now even to this day (a week on) running quicker and finding it easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment