Tuesday 24 April 2012

Garmin 405, the VLM and things I have learnt

Well where to start? Today my new Garmin Forerunner 405 was delivered and what a beauty it is! My previous forerunner the 110 was good at the time but I felt with my running and the events I've entered stepping up a gear my equipment needed to do the same.

I chose the 405 for a few reasons the first being the pacekeeper. I am slightly embarrassed to say that until Sunday I have never watched or was even aware that the London Marathon was aired on television nor did I realise that proper athletes compete in it. I thought it was just an event for the public and running clubs to enter. To this end I also didn't know what was going on when I saw a man running with what looked like a large red lollipop stick with 3 hours on it until I saw James Cracknell running literally shoulder to shoulder with him so he knew he would finish in 3 hours or under...then it hit me... the man with the red lollipop stick was a pacekeeper!

I have lots to learn still... Because James Cracknell stayed with this pacekeeper he finished the London Marathon in 2hours 59minutes and I thought I have to get myself one of those! short of paying someone who knows what they are doing to run with me with a lollipop stick I bought the Garmin 405 as it has a handy little pacekeeper on it or as my mom said "the man at the top is the Ghost busters marshmallow man and the man at the bottom is me trying to keep up with him" 

My first test run with the 405 led me to fill in the chosen pace of 10 minute miles, this was ambitious as this was also a test run on a recovering foot injury. Low and behold I set off and my little men were running side by side but rapidly my man started slowing down and before I knew it at around 0.5 of a mile the Ghost busters Marshmallow man wasn't even on my screen anymore! He may be big and marshmallowy (if that's a word) but I couldn't keep up! Maybe next time I'll aim for 11 minute miles.

All in all I am very pleased with the 405 and pleased I also know more about the VLM and will certainly be logging on on the 30th April to get my ballot entry in and hopefully picked to run next year.

Things I have learnt..

Listen to your body,I have had what I called a niggle for a week but ignored it being stubborn, I have too many races coming up all in the next 3 weeks, one half marathon and two 10ks to be off my feet, plus training for my first Ultra and couldn't help but think time off my feet is not going to help! Today my run lasted 10 minutes 25 seconds I ran just over a mile and could run no more. My foot is well and truly done in!


So more things I have learnt, my waterproof jacket really is waterproof, my baseball cap keeps the rain off my glasses, good job as the person referred to in my previous blog hasn't been in touch reference the creation of mini window wipers for glasses, or they just haven't read my blog!
White Karrimor Dry socklets slide down my ankles though the exact same socks in purple don't? (How does that work?)

Oh and if you are running and know you have a blister and its hurting during a 14mile run, it's ok to think to yourself  "Hey it's only a blister how bad can it be, do you think the runners in the Marathon Des Sables would stop just because of a blister" this is fine to think off as it's true but be prepared for what you see when you take your trainer off.

The last part of my blog is for everyone to remember Claire Squires the young lady that sadly passed away during this years London Marathon. She was doing something she loved for a good cause and thoughts go out to her family and friends.





3 comments:

  1. Ah, well now...
    Yes i read your previous blog and very enjoyable too.
    There is a problem with the mini wipers in that there is a good to excellent chance of water seeping in the cable that goes from the rear of the glasses to the battery pack.
    I tried it earlier on this evening in the rain but what happened was the lenses steamed up due to the wrong voltage battery pack (too powerful) and i ended up running into a big tree and smashed up the only prototype glasses i had!
    So ehh ... back to the drawing board again :-//

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog. Good Luck for all the events planned. I was going to run the Wall in June in one do, but not sure if I could get to the end, so intend to do the Grim 70 first and see how that goes. Did the VLM for the first time this year after taking 4 years to get in. you must do this - was a fantastic crowd all the way round. was dressed as a walnut (never again) and was high-fiving everyone all the way round. Good Luck for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely comments Trevor :-)I think the Wall is a challenge and one I intend to try in a few years, are you doing the Grim 70 this year? Im in for the 40 nervous and excited all at the same time. Well done on getting into VLM! nice walnut suit lol Good luck to you too and may meet you at Grimsthorpe x

    ReplyDelete