Tuesday 1 May 2012

The day I ran 9 minute miles and being a proud sister

This may seem a boring blog but I just had to do it to mark the occasion!

Today I ran 2 miles in 18 minutes and 32 seconds ... Ok technically not both miles were 9 minutes but hey I'm ecstatic all the same! This you will understand is an achievement as being a "shuffler" I normally run at 12 minute mile pace (please see previous blog where the Marshmallow man beat me in a pace keeping contest!)

 I thought the only time I would run that fast would be if I was being chased by something really really scary! Turns out all it took was deciding to sort my training out a little bit and make it more constructive. Rather than just running I have decided to do a speed run for 2 miles on a Tuesday, 10k pace 6 mile run on a Wednesday, Interval training for 4 miles on a Thursday, long run 14 miles plus on a Saturday and 4 mile easy/recovery run on the Sunday.

So off I went and just before the 1 mile point I glanced at my watch and thought "Oh crap it's at 9:40:5" fast but not as fast I wanted. I got to the 1 mile point and my watch beeped and low and behold I had read it wrong it had actually said 8:40:5 so I had done a 9 minute mile after all! I have no idea how people run that fast for more than 2 miles, who knows maybe that will be me in the future...

I'm putting this sudden ability to run quicker down to a few things, it's either the Malt loaf I ate before I went. (somehow I think not) or the fact I was wearing my Nike Dri Fit trousers size small that I previously had to stop wearing as I was too fat to get them over my arse! Or maybe it's the reason I can get in my Nike Dri Fit trousers size small that I can run  faster, either way I'm pleased as punch.

I have also made the decision to sell the Garmin 405 that I was so in love with before it arrived only a week ago,  I'm just not getting on with it at all, the battery is rubbish, I'm lucky I logged my fast 2 mile run. When I left the house the battery was 65% and after 18 minutes with the GPS on the battery died literally 5 seconds after I had lapped and saved my run. Not good for a long 3 hour run. So if anyone wants to buy a good, reliable Garmin 405 with brilliant battery life please get in touch ;-)

Also been a bit mad entering races again seem to be quite addicted, two new ones to add to the list is the Sutton Park 10k in June and even entering races for 2013 already with the Enigma Winter Double Marathon in January. Two marathons in two days!

The final part of my blog is to recognize how well my sister Katie or MorrisGump has done in her first week of running. Having only decided to take up running last week and probably regretting it as I've dumped half my old running gear onto her she started run/walking home from work which I believe is 2.5miles. Yesterday I got a text to say she had ran the whole way back without stopping! Well done Katie just goes to show everyone can run and progress quickly (even quicker than me) I say under my breath!

And for now that is all until the weekend and my blog about the Lichfield Half Marathon will be posted.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the blog ... How much for the 405

    ReplyDelete