Sunday 27 May 2012

Trailblazer 10k Forest of Dean

Well it's the day after the Trailblazer in the Forest of Dean organized by Runners World and how I wish I could do it all again! What an event...

The night before I was more nervous than on any other race I think this was due to me going on my lonesome and I hate having to find new places on my own.. still with my not so trusty sat nav at the ready I was sure I'd be fine, that was until the postman delivered a book I had been waiting for and an excited run down the stairs saw my back go again (please see previous blog) I had swam 50 lengths the night before and it had really helped, my back felt fine until the stair leap. I think I kind of knew then that running in the event today was probably not the best idea but I'm stubborn as a mule and was looking forward to running through the beautiful forest.

After a couple of wrong turns and my gear stick top falling off whilst driving (which was fun) I picked up the event signs and parked very easily in a large field with marshalls directing cars so there was plenty of room for everyone. The weather was outstanding and it was nice to see so many families had turned out having picnics by their cars I think it really added to the day. Parking done it was time to head into the Event village which was compact but had everything you needed from the Rat Race store which had 50% of all clothes and 15% of trainers, wish I'd bought some money with me! to the food and drink stalls, a climbing mountain and bouncy castle for the kids and the events stage and the biggest trainer I have ever seen in my life.

 Debating whether to go to the registration desk to get my number or toilet was the next task, the line for the toilet was quite big so I joined it but the event organizers had supplied around 18 porta loos and separate urinals for the men so I was at the front in around 3 minutes. Excellent start.

Toilet stop done it was time to head over to registration, thinking again there would be a wait to pick up race numbers I was again surprised to find the organizers had thought of everything so the queues were split between number categories, I didn't even have to queue for my number just handed my form in and given my number, coloured wristband to mark the wave I was starting in and my limited edition Saucony tech t-shirt which was that good I debated wearing it for the race but decided against it as it was black and I didn't want to be any hotter than necessary.

 A quick trot back to the car was needed to get myself sorted, pin my number to my top and drink some water as it was already roasting and I was due to start running in the last wave at 12.45pm I wanted to keep hydrated. I decided against spending anymore time out in the sun so read my book in the shade of the car but the excitement got too much. I went back to the event village and decided to stand at the finish line to clap in the earlier runners, I watched the blue and green waves come through which I believe were finishers of sub 60 mins and sub 50mins they all looked absolutely finished off and I knew then that maybe with the heat and my bad back I should just enjoy the route and not worry too much about time. Around 12.30 the man on the main stage was about to start us runners in wave 8 off with a warm up, this man had already done 7 of these warm ups he must have been knackered but then announced he would be running with us! The warm up started and I don't normally join in with these things but I thought well I was on my own and why the hell not so away I went kicking out my feet with everyone else and that set my back off again which bought tears of pain to my eyes.. Too late to pull out (And I wouldn't have anyway) we were led the 3 minute walk to the start where we were met by a man with a megaphone that explained again the route is a trail route and to mind our footing etc. I was really impressed with the importance they placed on safety especially with the warm weather and they were even offering rewards to anyone that had to sacrifice their own race to help someone else in trouble. He did explain that at mile 2 there was an emergency loo and from there the elevation of the course goes up. No problem I thought!

So we were off... back not too bad not great but bearable again I stupidly thought about time and pulled out a 10.06 first mile brilliant, second mile even better at 9.44 then  saw the loo and then I saw the hill, they weren't joking when they said about the elevation gain! About a third of a mile past the loo I felt my back go again and resigned myself to a run/walk the rest of the way, mile 3 was done in 12.11 but I couldn't do any better, the heat was pretty much unbearable I did think being in a forest there would be shade but there was very little as the path we were running on was very wide. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't enjoy the route as much as I could have done because of the heat and the pain. Every now and again I would start a little canter which would then see me let out a loud moan of pain and big grimace. I could canter for around a minute then surrender and walk again. I don't remember much more of the route other than the score of bluebells  I remember thinking I haven't seen a bluebell since I was kid. I would like to run that route again on a different day and take it all in.

At the 500m marker I decided enough was enough I was going to go for it and gritted my teeth to start a proper run, there were plenty of people all the way down the last 300m having drinks on the grass, kids playing but they all stopped to clap and say well done as I went past. Crossing the finish line my name was read out over the mic as a finisher and I could have cried with relief that it was over but deep down wish I could have done it again...only better with no back ache and no sun.

The medal was amazing, the whole event was amazing and hats of the organizers.


I went for a free sports massage after and it became apparent I have slipped a disc in my back. Great... I have another 10k this weekend and am now having to see how my back is or pull out which I really don't want to do. Still it's my own fault for running but I am pleased I did as it really was a fantastic day and I can't wait to do it again next year.
Here's the link to the route and details from my Garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182463873#.T8IeKDTLAbE.facebook




















1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete