Wednesday 16 May 2012

Blackpool 10k

So the Blackpool 10k started on the Saturday with the 3 hour drive up there. The weather couldn't have been better! My normal routine of pasta, porridge, drink lots of water and early to bed went straight out the window. I started with a fish & chip supper followed by a few pints and a late night after going to a Hypnotist show until gone midnight... I wish he had hypnotised me into thinking I felt great the following morning when I woke up at 7am.

With an early start on I was offered porridge for breakfast but thought for a 10k do I really need to follow all the prepping I'd do for a half marathon or more?


Me I was raring to go it had been 4 months since my first 10k and I was excited to see how I would fair doing only 6 miles but also apprehensive as I know I don't really get warmed up until 4 miles then it would be practically over.

My bright idea was to walk to the starting line, I was under the impression from a previous run years before that the finish is right by our hotel so the 3 mile walk to the start didn't seem too bad and a nice little warm up. Half way to the start I noticed a fluorescent yellow sign saying 7K which was worrying and I soon realised the route had been changed to start and finish in the same place so I also had a 3 mile walk back to hotel to contend with after running 6 miles! On the walk there I was convinced I had turned up on the wrong day as I seemed to be the only persone walking round in the freezing cold winds in shorts and race numbers, but were soon met by a welcoming site of the large crowd of runners at the starting line.



There was a wide variety of runners from the really serious sub 50 minutes at the front in their own starting pen to runners like me and kev and people dressed up in fancy dress. From warming up with the 3 mile walk to standing around for half an hour it had gone very cold and I was willing them to get on with it and start the race. The count down began and we were off to a short run then an immediate stop waiting for the crowd in front to disperse. We soon got running and the first mile came around rather quick it was surprising the amount of people that had already started walking It was at this point I realised I was struggling with my right leg but had no idea what was wrong with it and thought it would sort itself out along the way...it didn't. I think it was the bed at the hotel as it was rather hard and not very comfortable, the top of my right thigh was in agony! At mile 3 it was a welcome relief to turn around and have the wind on our backs pushing us along rather than going against us. I was struggling and couldn't understand why when I run half marathons quite easily? Miles 4 and 5 passed but my leg was still no better.

 I crossed the line and my finish time was1 hour 8 minutes which was fantastic,  2 minutes of my PB from Blymhill. I will admit I struggled with this race, I think I prefer a more serious run where people try not to walk after 200 yards as it made it difficult to filter around them, though I don't mean to sound snooty at all. I also think my body and mentality is better set on half marathons as I take too long to get into the swing of things and find my pace with a 10k.

Overall though I really really enjoyed myself  With another 10k coming up in 2 weeks I hope I cope a little better than this one and may aim to get another PB of an hour if things go well. Here's the link to the course from my Garmin watch with splits and times etc.
 
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/178833213#.T7P2KKYLJgA.facebook








No comments:

Post a Comment