Thursday 24 May 2012

Hot Weather and the Olympic Torch

Well how has everyone found running in this glorious weather we have had the last few days?


Me? I've struggled.. Having only started running in the winter months this running in 28 degrees heat malarkey is something of a new experience and one I suppose I had not given much consideration to until Tuesday. I went out for my two mile fartlek run  and couldn't believe how difficult I found it. I managed to pull out an 8 minute mile for the first mile then completely wiped that out with a 13 minute... yes you heard me a 13 minute mile!
Thinking maybe it was because I went out too fast I ran again yesterday doing my usual 4 miles, wow what a rubbish run THAT was... I think I ran the first 2 miles, ran/walked (more walked) the 3rd mile and then didn't even walk the last mile I took a shortcut (red face) and walked back... disappointing to say the least.

So today I thought I'd try again even though I know running in 28 degrees probably isn't the best idea I told myself I have to get used to it or just try it once as I have no control over the weather on a race day and what will I do? Ask the organizers if I can start when its cooler or run in the shade....?
 My target run today was 6 miles so with sunscreen on and my sports bra and shorts with jelly belly out, I set off, almost immediately I felt one, better for only wearing my crop top rather than t-shirt and two I also still didn't feel as good as normal; still I plodded on regardless... after all this Ultra Marathon in 7 weeks isn't going to run itself now is it. I'm not going to lie to you it was boiling, I was beginning to regret going out and thought maybe I should have left it until the cooler evening but it was too late.. from mile 4 I did quite a bit of walking but it's better to be safe than sorry and at the top of the big hill I walk up I started to run again but now with a dodgy back/ bum cheek area!

Hobbling along I noticed the streets lined with people eating cakes and drinking on the side of the road and I realised I had landed upon the route that the Olympic Torch would be taking shortly after, as I was running I thought gosh all I'm missing is the white tracksuit and the Torch, would you believe some people even did a double take when they saw me! I like to think they were all there supporting me and waving flags at my expense and it propelled me on my way home... which still involved a lot of walking mainly down to my pulled ass cheek/back.

It wasn't so long ago I said "oohh I'd love to run the Malta Marathon or even Marathon Des Sables" who am I kidding I hate running in heat, bring back the rain I say!

Anyway only two more sleeps until the Trail Blazer 10k and I'm praying my back issue sorts itself out so stretching and yoga tomorrow and away we go




No comments:

Post a Comment