Tuesday 24 December 2013

Marathon training day 3 intervals

So it's day three and the weather has not improved one little bit! Who's clever idea is it that typically you need 16-18 weeks to train for a marathon and they place London on the 13th April meaning there are thousands of people out there like me watching the rain thinking "I've got intervals today" Ok so they may not be saying exactly that but probably something along those lines..

To tell you abit about my training plan it consists of 5 running days per week. Monday and Friday are rest days though I've switched things around this week to tie in with christmas and the sunrise to sunset race. There is one easy run day (this to me means run however I want around 10.30 min miles as this is the pace I find 'easy') there is a recovery day which I will be sticking to by the book to make sure I'm running slow enough to recover from my long run, there's yes you guessed it a long run and two interval sessions.

Today was an interval session this to start with I dislike as I have to sort out my heart rate monitor and the shock is still there when I have to wrap a cold belt with wet sensors around my chest... Brrrrrr but I like the idea of mixing up my running as I feel that's why I have stopped improving as I just run at the same speed all the time.  This session consisted of a 10 minute warm up, then just at the end of the warm up it all kicked off! I had reached the main road it was noisy busy, Kesha & Pitbull had just started playing full blast in my ears, my coat was flapping around, my watch was vibrating and beeping at me to tell me to run for 4 minutes in heart rate zone 166-179 bpm...trust me it was all going on and it took me a few seconds to settle down. This section was followed by 90 seconds of recovery running and to repeat both sections 4 times each this led me to finish with a 3.02 mile run in 32.06 minutes.

I find intervals that much fun constantly mixing the running up within a route that I half considered setting up a 5 hour interval repetition workout on my watch and do the full London Marathon in intervals but then I had words with myself though it could be fun to try it.

My next run is the 27th December the Sunrise to Sunset challenge so all that's left to do is wish you all a Merry Christmas and thank for reading over the last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment