Monday 16 December 2013

Supporting Run for Fun at the Enigma Christmas Double Marathon

Last year I was taking part in the Enigma Double Marathon (day 1) I decided to go back up to "the lake" and support my fellow Run for Funners taking part in the Enigma Christmas Double Marathon the weekend of the 14th December. There were some funners I was yet to meet and I fancied a little run around the lake to see how my leg was doing.

I started out on my journey at 6am for the hour drive to Swindon to pick up Anjie we both felt nervous and excited as though we were actually taking part in the race, sporting our RFF tops and hoodys with Anjie in a very festive christmas hat we then started the final leg of two hours to Milton Keynes to Caldecotte Lake. We arrived with minutes to spare and followed the runners to the starting line and they were off! 
 Many were in fancy dress including Maureen in her Reindeer costume. We made the short walk back to the pub where we got a prime table over looking the lake where I devoured a full english whilst watching the runners go by each lap. I felt like a member of the Royal family in the royal box at the London Marathon watching the runners come by. We were very quick to notice how fast a marathon goes when you are watching in a warm pub rather than actually taking part!
The laps are the same as before 7 laps of 3.75 miles each and Anjie, Rebekah and I were trying to count how many laps Maureen, Nikki, Emma, Kelly and Dennis had done as we wanted to venture out and catch them on the last lap to run with them. We headed out around 12.30 and did a steady lap ourselves, it was cold, my chest was still bad but my leg is 100% better so I was pleased. As we finished our first lap we decided to head back the opposite way to catch up with Maureen and the ladies as we wouldn't be able to run quick enough to catch them up. We soon came across them at the long straight by Tesco and chatted our way back to the check point.
 
I then ventured out on the final lap with them whilst Anjie waited to take photos of Dennis and Chris finishing. The last lap we had a good old natter about running and the group and just before the final straight I left them to take their well deserved glory and headed off on a shortcut to see them finish. Never have I spent such a good day in the company of brilliant and inspiring people, they have certainly inspired me to take on the Enigma Christmas Double marathon in 2014.  They all finished the second day aswell with some big pb's in the bag and medals galore it was a fantastic running weekend and I ended up with an 8.44 mile run in the bag from the laps I completed with them.
Emma, Kelly and Maureen finishing day 1
Maureen and I

Dennis the gringo on the 2nd day




RFF hot drinks afterwards
End of day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment