Friday 13 December 2013

To Ultra or not to Ultra?...that is the question

I have been booked into the Holly Winter Sunrise to Sunset Challenge for months infact probably since the start of the year. Set in Telford on the 27th December I thought it would be a great little race to take part in as I'm staying with family only 3 miles away. The concept of the race is to run as far as you can between sunrise 8.20am and sunset 4.01pm. The route is an 0.84 mile loop and I had heard recently there is a hill.

My intention was to go into this race with the half marathon distance in mind due to recent injuries, illness and other niggles I've not trained half as much as I would like for a half marathon let alone anything else and with the race coinciding with the 5th day of my London Marathon training schedule which starts on the 23rd December I didn't want to push my luck.....

But now after receiving my final instructions..... I am sat here thinking I should just go for it. From a previous Ultra I have done I know I can do 30 miles in 8 hours well my legs can...but can my mind as that's not had any marathon/ultra training since January this year. What is the worst that can possibly happen? I know the route is short and probably mind bogglingly boring doing an 0.84 mile route over and over and over again and the chance to drop out will come around every 10 minutes or so but really does it matter if I drop out?

Maybe it will be a good thing I just go for it, with no time to worry about it or plan for it months in advance as I have other marathons or ultras I really do think I'm just going to go for it and attempt to run literally as far as I can (in a circle mind else I'll end up practically back in worcester) between the hours of 8.20am and 4.01pm.

We shall see what December 27th brings so watch this space.......

No comments:

Post a Comment