Sunday 22 December 2013

Start of London Marathon training and since when did running become so damn hard!?

My official London Marathon training starts Christmas eve, but with not a lot happening on the running front in the last few weeks and having some hours to kill I decided to start early with a gentle 3 mile run. Thing is I don't do gentle! One of my downfalls is always try to maintain a good pace hence why this training is going to be so challenging for me to slow it right down to 11.30 minute miles....

Today though I would have welcomed 11.30 minute miles as I simply couldn't run! I started on my usual 3 mile loop but changed my mind at 1 mile to head up the canal, my chest hurt, my eyes were streaming with the wind blowing in my face, my legs ached my bum ached everything hurt but no matter how hard I tried without actually walking I simply couldn't slow my pace down! Since when did running become so damn hard?

I managed to maintain my usual running speed with splits of 10.22, 10.32 & 10.55 even when I got half a bramble bush stuck on my sock and dragged it along for a while before it broke loose leaving me with raised lumps and scratches on my right leg.  If I had gone the same way I had came I would have finished up at just under 4 miles but between trying to wipe my watery eye with my snot rag and my legs feeling as though someone had swapped my running capris for a pair of concrete trousers I cut it short and ended the run on 3.10 miles. All I keep thinking is what have I let myself in for? With this Sunrise to Sunset race in less than a week, London & Worcester full marathons entered for next year and the Grim Ultra I seriously considered the fact that I don't like running anymore...

After my run when I had time to think I realised maybe it's not that I don't like running it's more the fact I don't like the amount of fitness I have lost since the 17th November when I was running 24 miles a week and peaking with my split times at around 8.25 - 9 min miles now I am a sloth, a tortoise due to injury and illness taking hold and me averaging 3 miles per week but you know from the old kids story the tortoise wins the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment